This error message simply means that your username or password for your email account is incorrect in the “Email Setup” screen. Double-check both your username and password under the “Advanced” section on the “Email Setup” screen.
Important Note for Gmail Users
As of May 30, 2022, Google have changed their security measures meaning that instead of using your normal Gmail password, you now need to use a special “app password”.
To set up an App Password, follow the steps under the “Gmail” heading on this page.
Important Note for Google Workspace (GSuite) Users
If you’re using “Gmail”, then as well as double-checking your username and password, it might be that you need to change a security setting in Gmail. You can do that as follows:-
- Open your web browser, go to Gmail.com and log into your Gmail account
- Click here to access the “Security” settings page for your Google Account
- Under “Signing in to Google”, make sure “2-Step Verification” is turned OFF
- Under “Access for less secure apps”, make sure it is turned ON (you may need to refresh/reload the page afterwards if using Firefox web browser)
- After that, you should be able to email invoices, etc. from Cashbook
Important Note for Office 365 Users
To avoid getting a “Bad login or password” error, you need to disable “Multifactor Authentication / Two-Step Verification”. Please consult Microsoft support if you’re unable to do this.
Alternatively, if you prefer to have “Multifactor Authentication / Two-Step Verification” enabled, you can set up a special app password that will work with Cashbook as covered here on Microsoft’s website. Once you’ve set up the app password, you must use that password in the “Email Setup” screen in Cashbook instead of your normal email account password.